My name is Linda Mulenga Nsunge and I am a Zambian Photographer with a passion for travel and fashion. I enjoy long drives, and the feel of different textures of fabric between my fingers. I enjoy capturing different things: from the intricate designs and vibrant colours of the Chitenge, to beautiful architecture, and significant occasions such as: Weddings and corporate events.
How did you get into photography?
Fashion was or rather is my first love-interest. I think that’s where it all began. I’d carry my little Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S730 to all the events I attended in New York, South Africa and Zambia. Then I upgraded to the Sony Alpha Nex-5R, brilliant camera, I love it. I still use it for short trips or day events if I don’t want to carry my Canon (750D) that is so heavy.
Where’s your favourite place to take photographs from?
Nature, Zambia has a lot of good places for that.
Who are your favourite photographers and why them?
I think my favourite photographers are mainly Zambians. Not being biased, but they have some real talent. The ones mentioned are unique in their own way.
- Enoch Kavindele JR.
- Waka Chisha
What is your process when working on a photoshoot?
- Charge everything that needs to be charged
- Contact client- reminder about the shoot for next day
- Prep for the theme of the shoot
What are the top 5 festivals you would want to shoot at
- Marrakesh festival of arts- Morocco
- Bushfire festival- Swaziland
- Vic falls- Zimbabwe
- Coachella Valley Music & Arts fest- USA
- Afronation – Ghana
I can say I’ve shot at Lake of Stars- Malawi 2018
Who would you like to take photos of and why?
Lulu Haangala-Woods- She inspires me, hardworking lady
Rihanna- She’s amazing
Tyler the creator – He’s a great talent
ASAP ROCKY- He is very good looking
Trevor Mumba(selfstyledking) His fashion sense is top notch
What has been your favourite photoshoot?
Must be Lake of stars (Malawi) – Got to see Sauti Sol and Major Lazer.
One of best festivals I’ve been to. Two days of art, music, food & of course the beautiful lake Malawi.
What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Don’t let anyone let you feel a certain way without your consent.
What are the 5 most important songs in your life and why?
- When we were you- Adele – Takes me back in time, young & silly. How people aren’t friends anymore. strangers.
- Oceans (where feet may fail) – Hillsong- Touches my heart, I’ve confidence that the Holy spirit can lead me. Knowing no matter how much I fail; the Lord is still there to pick me up.
- Something just like this – Chainsmokers & Coldplay- Reminds me of summer 2017 with my special person (RIP)
- Lil Homie – 2pac- one of my fave jams by him. Dope lyrics.
- No hands – Waka Flocka flame – what can I say, I love trap music.
What is your favourite thing about being Zambian?
The authenticity of its people, the richness of its food, and culture is the reason I love Zambia beyond measure. I’ve been fortunate to travel abroad, where I’ve been exposed to different people and cultures, but nothing quite comes close to home. Nothing out there can surpass Zambian food, especially dry fish, which is my favourite.
How would you like to be remembered?
I hope people remember me for being the obsessed coffee drinker-photographer that got on everyone’s nerves.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/UnikueModa and https://twitter.com/MisLenga
5 Comments on “In Conversation with: Linda Mulenga Nsunge”
This was a great interview, so talented and unique in your own ways.
Loved this interview! Gives a great picture of who Linda really is and how talented she is.
Here for it all, honey!
Thank you Yimale! 💞
Thank you! Love you girl! 💜